The time had come to consider another tandem, our Dutch ‘DoubleDream’ had served its purpose. That purpose was not what we planned, we thought that a foldable, comfortable, hub geared, alloy framed ‘cruiser’ bike was what we wanted – we could take our Terrier, ‘Bosun’ with us on local rides around our home, even venturing further afield by folding the machine and carrying it in our car.
What actually transpired was rather different, we got more ambitious with our rides and after Bosun decided to leave us, after twenty years! – We even took the DoubleDream on a ‘Tour’ to England. As touring bought an increasing demand for weighty luggage we started to have wheel problems on the already quite heavy Dutch cruiser, so we decided to go for a couple of ‘singles’ – enter the Surly LHTs
After our major, well,. for us it was, ride from John O’Groats to Land’s End on the singles we started thinking about another tandem. Browsing the ‘net one day I came across SJS Cycles advertising a Thorn Adventure Tandem, in a perfect size for us – as a clearance offer, as they had now completely changed to Rohloff geared machines and were perhaps finding selling an older model difficult – AND because it was a small/small size which was not in demand – except from us with hobbit legs! There was not much hesitation and soon it was being packed up to be shipped to France!
The purpose of this page was to enlighten the technical minded of you that seem to always demand to see the technical specs:
- Quality UK hand made frameset using Reynolds 531 tubing – built to ride the world!
- British Racing Green
- Fitted with a cartridge bearing road 1 1/8 inch Aheadset CH-281-8 – black
- Transmission: Ventura 3/32 inch chain 116 links, 5/6/7speed, Shimano Alivio RD-M410 7/8 speed rear Derailleur – Pair Thorn tandem front crankset for crossover drive length 170mm, Pair Thorn tandem triple rear crankset for crossover drive length 165mm, 24/34/50 Chainrings, 34 connecting rings, Shimano TY30 Triple Front derailleur 28.6mm, Shimano HG31-I 8 speed cassette – 11 – 32T. Shimano Ultegra SL-6480 8 speed Bar End Shifters, Neco bottom brackets 68mm shell with Shimano splined cups, SRAM 3/32 inch PC830 chain 114 links 7/8 speed HG compatible – grey.
- Brakes: Tektro RL520 Aero V brake levers – black, Karasawa screw on tandem drum, Shimano Deore BR-M590 V brakes – black.
- Wheels: Sun CRE16 26″ (559) Alloy rims – Silver – 40 Hole, Shimano Deore XT 8/9 Speed large flange rear tandem hub – 145mm OLN – 40 Hole, Shimano XT tandem front hub QR 40 hole. Panaracer Hi road amber wall rigid tyres 26 x 1,50 inch.
- Finishing Kit: Thorn MTB Comfort Riser Bars – 25.4mm – Satin Black, MTB Kraton rubber handlebar grips – Brookes Champion Flyer and Womens S saddles. Zoom anatomic alloy drop handlebars – 25.4 clamp – black – 440mm C>C, Adjustable stoker stem with shim alloy black, Thorn front loading alloy 1 1/8″ Ahead stem +6 Deg, satin black – 90mm, Cork Handlebar tape with cork flecks with gel backing – black.
- Accessories: Thorn accessory bar T shaped 55mm extension 0 deg. SKS Chromoplastic 26 inch mudguards with fitting kit – black. Thorn front and rear luggage racks..